17 February 2011

Judgements

Last night I was thinking about first impressions which got me thinking about how people judge other people. The saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" is all good and wonderful, but the truth is we do. Books, people, whatever. When we see something, we immediately get an idea about what that thing is and we form an opinion.

I wonder about these thoughts because I often think them. They're not bad things, just unjustified conclusions. But I have no clue about any part of these people I see. Maybe there's a reason she wears so much make-up. Or perhaps white, purple, yellow and neon-green are his favourite colours.

I also wonder what people think about me. I am a black girl of almost 19, currently with green and black hair. Today I was wearing a short black skirt, a yellow flowy tank-top, black cardigan, pine green, pink and yellow paisley tights, black rain boots and a black coat. Plus I'm writing like a mad man on the subway (was...). I'm curious to know what goes through people's minds...

One of the crappiest superpowers must be to have the ability to read minds. I know I would hate it if someone could read mine. It's such an invasion of privacy. And what I'm thinking might not be what I actually think, if you know what I mean. While it might be handy at times to see if someone is lying to you or to get the truth, what people think and what people do are two different things. It would suck to read minds because these thoughts are unguarded. People don't truly want to know what others are thinking. That's why it's called "brutal honesty", because it hurts.

I think the key is not basing your actions on these initial judgments. It's a matter of forming an opinion based on something more substantial than looks or whatever else it might be. As cliche as it sounds, there's more that meets the eye...

4 comments:

  1. Just taking another look at your blog, it really is high quality so I thought I'd subscribe. Very interesting subject too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you 150% This actually reminds me of book called Branded. The book is all about how image became part of our identify,and how it effects people's mentality. Sorry about deleting the first comment I realized I misspelled a word :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to both of you :)
    I looked up the book, but who is the author? there are lots of books called Branded lol

    ReplyDelete

Hola :)