21 March 2011

Public Expressions

About a month ago, my friend introduced me to the website StumbleUpon, and since then, I have been "stumbling" onto various websites, images and videos that are interesting, informative and imaginative. One of these is the website of Candy Chang. She is a "a public installation artist, designer, and urban planner" in New Orleans who creates many really awesome things. She seems to concentrate on things that improve neighbourhood communication and address social problems. Her work is very cool, visual, and thought provoking at the same time.

The first project I saw is called "Before I Die...", where she sprayed painted a giant stencil onto the side of an abandoned house. There is a blank space and some chalk, so that the people of the community can express themselves and share their values.


I think one reason I felt like posting this is because I love public art and art installations. There is something about art in a public place, where everyone can enjoy it, interact with it and hold their own views and opinions that I love. It always makes a place feel more connected somehow. I admire artists and designers who do things like that.


Candy Chang's website is here, linked to her projects page. I hope you check it out :)

♥ Turtles

1 comment:

Hola :)